Mr. John A. Ourth and Dr. Fred W. Singleton Professional Development Scholarship
In an effort to recognize the contributions of John Ourth and Fred Singleton to the Illinois Principals Association, the IPA Board of Directors unanimously approved the creation of two professional development scholarships in their honor at the IPA Conference in October 2007. The scholarships are a tribute to Fred and John’s vision for the Association, for their leadership in the creation of professional development for the IPA, and for their enduring devotion to Principals across the state.
Two scholarships will be awarded each year, one for an elementary principal (K-8) and one for a secondary principal (9-12). The scholarships will be for a minimum of $750 and will be awarded each year at the Illinois Principals Association Fall Conference.
Dr. Fred Singleton retired after 20 years as Field Director for the Illinois Principals Association, 50 years in education. Mr. John Ourth, former Northern IPA Field Director, passed away shortly after the creation of the scholarship on December 10, 2007.
The purpose of the Illinois Principals Association scholarship is to provide scholarship grants to assist individuals in the pursuit of graduate study, attendance at national conferences, and attendance at other relevant professional development to further the capacities of school administrators to be instructional leaders.
Individuals who are eligible for this scholarship shall:
- be a resident of Illinois
- be a member of the Illinois Principals Association
- hold an administrative certificate in Illinois
- be a practicing building level administrator in Illinois
- not have previously received an IPA Scholarship
Applications must be completed on the forms provided by the Board of Directors and submitted to the Executive Director of the Illinois Principals Association. The completed application package should be postmarked no later than midnight May 15. UPDATE: The deadline has been extended to MAY 31st! Completed applications must include:
- name and address of applicant
- three letters of reference, specific to the subject of the scholarship and its judging criteria
- a statement by the applicant indicating a commitment to improving his/her capacity to be an instructional leader
- a statement by the applicant concerning any involvement in any IPA Professional Development workshops, activities, or seminars within the
- past three years. Please list the activities in which you have participated.
- response to practicum question
- written documentation identifying the applicant’s employment as a practicing administrator in Illinois
- statement of what the scholarship will be used for.
Scholarship awards will be made on the basis of:
- good scholarship
- evidence of strong communication skills
- abilities and strengths of the applicant as indicated in the letters of support; and
- potential for continued significant contribution to the principalship
The Illinois Principals Award Committee will review the applications and select the award recipients. The public announcement of the selection will be made at the Annual Principals Professional Conference of the Illinois Principals Association. Payment will be made to the recipients upon receipt of proof of attendance of an academic class, professional workshop, or professional conference.
Terms of the Scholarship
The scholarship award will be for a minimum of $750. Applicants may not apply for the award in successive years.